In line with PWS’s policy of equal opportunities, we believe everyone should be able to access our website and we are taking continual steps to improve our service for people with disabilities. This website has been developed to be as accessible as possible within the confines of the technology we’re using. Whilst creating this website, we’ve incorporated recommendations and best practice from the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium’s) Accessibility Initiative (WAI) and we believe the website meets Priority 2 (AA) of the WAI’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0).
Our web site makes use of industry-standard techniques and best practices to provide the highest possible level of web site accessibility for our users. These include:
- Any and all information conveyed with colour is still readable if a user is unable to distinguish colour.
- Any image used on our web site will contain a textual description that will be read out loud within your screen reader.
- Link text or phrases have been rewritten to make sense when read out loud by a screen reader.
- We have included a tool for scaling the font-size of the main content. All font-sizes found on our web site use relative units of measurement. This makes scaling the font-size of our web site easier and more consistent.
- All web pages use headings to create a proper document structure, which can be used by some screen readers. To cycle through the headings on any given web page, press the ‘H’ key on your keyboard. You may cycle backwards through the headings by pressing both the ‘Shift’ and letter ‘H’ keys together.
- Some of our content is in PDF format only. We are working towards reducing our dependence on PDFs for use on our web site, and training staff to provide content in more accessible formats.
- Due to conditions beyond our control, there are some instances where we are unable to provide information in an accessible format. We will be monitoring these sections, and develop an accessible solution as technology improves.
The website uses XHTML code to provide document structure and CSS (Cascading Stylesheets) to provide presentational formatting. If you have a particular need that we do not currently cater for, please contact us and we will do our best to help.